THE PROJECT

Inspired by the assertion in the book "Outliers," that 10,000 hours are required to "master" a skill, I seek to become a "master" in writing. I plan on documenting my 10,000 hour journey of reading and writing.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Short Story and Wine

I may have fallen in love with the short story.  I never realized the short story was such a wonderful lover.  Short, sweet, undemanding, no committment, the short story is like a one night stand.  Some are good, and some are really good.  Since I am not one that wants to waste my time with the bad, I have been reading The Best American Short Stories of 2010 edited by Russo.  This is one high yield book. 

I also discovered last night, after two glasses of wine, that a little disinhibition can go a long way.  I felt free in my mind, once the wine kicked in.  I managed a few pages of free writing that definitely took risk.  The risk is where the good stuff of writing lives!  I guess the little gnome muse of mine that lives in the bottom of a cave which is accessible only by down climbing a frozen waterfall really likes a little wine.  He prefers red. 

Project time
Audiobook 1 hour
Freewriting 30 minutes
Short story 30 minutes

Total added: 2hours

No comments:

Post a Comment