THE PROJECT

Inspired by the assertion in the book "Outliers," that 10,000 hours are required to "master" a skill, I seek to become a "master" in writing. I plan on documenting my 10,000 hour journey of reading and writing.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Time, a precious thing

I spent Monday night enjoying a writing workshop at Tangled Roots Writing.  Listening to the other writer's read their work is my favorite part.  One writer read a story, and I couldn't stop laughing.  Being able to make someone laugh is a truly special thing, harder than making them cry. 

As usual, on my work days I write less.  Thank goodness that I can listen to audiobooks in the car to amuse myself with a good story.  The critical factor remains the narrator.  A great narrator fills my ear with the story.  A bad narrator can ruin the best book ever written.  I also find that I prefer to listen to books that are filled with action and dialog.  Too much exposition becomes boring quick, then I lose my place and am confused.  I also find a short but pungent image can really fill the sense; however, with long flowery sections of scene details I end up getting distracted. 

Writing workshop = 2 hours
Audiobook listening = 3 hours

I will subtract another 5 hours from the goal!

Happy reading, writing, and listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment